Swostik Dash, CEO & Co-Founder of Neomotion on helping people with disabilities to live a more independent life
Every year 300,000 wheelchairs are sold in india. 95% of all wheelchairs are one -size fits all. Imagine wearing shoes and everyone has to wear size 14 shoes! So today my guest is Swostik Dash, CEO & Co-Founder of Neomotion. This Chennai-based startup has developed a personalised wheelchair, and a battery-powered clip-on device that converts the wheelchair into a roadworthy electric vehicle.
So they helping people with disabilities to live a more independent life with their products. So in this episode he talks about how the journey started by talking to 200 Wheelchair users in 40 locations around india. Talks about the initial stages product development. You will learn how he makes decisions around feature requests.
Talks about how they balance creating impactful products, social change while making money at the same time. Talks about the main 5 metrics he checks every morning. Why don’t they go after fancy features. Interesting thoughts on what Wheelchairs will look like in 100 years time . Talks about the donation drive business model, major milestones. And finally talks about the huge impact he is making on people’s lives.
In this conversation we also talk about:
- Why they don’t want VC funding yet.
- Traction & sales so far
- Customisations -No two wheelchairs are the same.
- Supply chain management
- Manufacturing / fulfilling orders/ quality control
- Proof of concepts
- Advice on product development
- Product iterations
- What they are working on right now.
- What went wrong in the early days.
- Enabling wheelchair users to live life to the fullest.
- Advice for first time founders.
- Using a whiteboard to deal with negative and positive feedback
- Product design advice
- Why you shouldn’t get stuck on your idea
- ‘Startup is a systematic risk minimisation’ — Warren Buffet.
- Solving the problem of Indoor and outdoor mobility
and much more
if you need something to do during these challenging and difficult times and want some inspiration and need some creativity. check out Skillshare. Skillshare is an online learning community with thousands of classes in design, business, tech, and more. Anyone can join the millions of members in our community to learn cutting-edge skills, network with peers and discover new opportunities.
Try Premium free for 2 months and access all my classes!
music by Punch Deck.