Harshdeep Singh CEO of WrapitUp on scaling to 3.5M+ users, refusing $20M acquisition & dealing with mental health issues & how he turned it around in style!
- The Indian Startup Show — EPISODE 168
My first ever guest is back on the show! Harshdeep Singh Hura founder of WrapItUp — a text summarizer. He appeared on show back in August 2015. We talk about how his app now has 3.5M users.
Why he turned down $20 million acquisition for the app. How a anthropology course on apes was a breakthrough moment. Talks why he almost quit tech, what changed and gives us his new fresh perspective on life.
He gives us great insights on mobile app design, development &marketing strategies. Talks about going from idea to MVP (starts at 25.19 take notes!) and why does not want a co-founder. Talks about becoming a pastry chef. Thoughts on Clubhouse being the next big thing.
And finally we take a trip down memory lane and talk about the embarrassing first ever episode of the indian startup show.
in this conversation we talk about:
- Starting out writing algorithms on paper & not using existing NLP algorithms
- Being the most successful solo iPhone app developer in India (in my opinion!)
- Taking risks in your 20’s
- Reaction to friends and family on turning down $20million
- Setting up Indoor Hydroponic farming space.
- Entering the News Summarization space with a new line of products built around the WrapItUp algorithm, L.A.S.T. 5 [Linguistically Advanced Summarization Technique]
- Is it still a good idea to build an iphone app in 2021
- Helping salesforce administration to learn to code and then getting angry feedback from Salesforce content creators
- Being stressed & receiving a cold email that got his life back on track
- Growing an inch since we last spoke (6ft 9 inch)
- Building a remote first E-commerce agency
- Why they don’t do regular marketing to create brand awareness.
- Hiring only fans influencers
- How he settles arguments with his dad.
- Why ‘luck can only take you so far!’
- Why you shouldn’t change the world — but change one person’s world
- Starting WrapitUp because he was too lazy to read
And much more!
if you need something to do during these challenging and difficult times and want some inspiration and need some creativity. check out Skillshare. Skillshare is an online learning community with thousands of classes in design, business, tech, and more. Anyone can join the millions of members in our community to learn cutting-edge skills, network with peers and discover new opportunities.
Try Premium free for 2 months and access all my classes!
music by Punch Deck. https://open.spotify.com/artist/7kdduxAVaFnbHJyNxl7FWV